Microsoft Says China May Have Used AI to Sway US Voters
- Microsoft researchers have discovered a network of fake social media accounts controlled by China, which they believe were used to influence US voters using artificial intelligence.
- The Chinese embassy denies the accusations and claims that China advocates for the safe use of AI.
- The report highlights concerns about social media manipulation ahead of the 2024 presidential election.
Google To Require Political Ads To Disclose AI Creations
- Google will require political ads on its platforms to disclose when images and audio have been altered or created using artificial intelligence (AI).
- The change, set to take effect in November, addresses concerns about using generative AI to mislead voters.
- Google’s ad policies already prohibit digital media manipulation for political deception, and the company will now require election-related ads to prominently disclose if they contain synthetic content.
- Google continues to invest in technology to detect and remove such content.
Tencent Releases AI Model For Businesses as Competition in China Heats Up
- Chinese tech giant Tencent is launching its artificial intelligence model “Hunyuan” for business use.
- The company is integrating Hunyuan’s capabilities with its existing video conferencing and social media products.
- Tencent’s move comes after Baidu revealed AI-powered applications and chatbots following new supportive regulations.
Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order To Prepare California For The Progress of AI
- Governor Gavin Newsom has signed an executive order to prepare California for the advancements in Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- The order aims to protect against potential harms and shape a future of ethical and trustworthy AI.
- Local leaders and experts from UCSB will discuss their thoughts on this order.
Microsoft-Backed Startup, D-Matrix, To Compete With Nvidia In Bid For AI Dominance
- Silicon Valley startup D-Matrix, backed by Microsoft and with $110 million in funding, aims to challenge Nvidia’s dominance in the AI chip market.
- D-Matrix’s unique “in-memory compute” technology optimises AI applications like ChatGPT, and the company has raised a total of $154 million in investments.
- Microsoft is actively considering using D-Matrix’s chip for its ventures.