China’s Internet Giants Order $5 Billion of Nvidia Chips to Power AI Ambitions
- China’s internet giants, including Baidu, ByteDance, Tencent, and Alibaba, have reportedly ordered $5 billion worth of Nvidia chips to power their generative artificial intelligence systems.
- The orders include 100,000 A800 processors to be delivered this year and $4 billion of graphics processing units for 2024.
- The Biden administration’s restrictions on exporting AI chips to China could have a long-term impact on the US industry.
White House Launches AI-Based Contest to Secure Government Systems From Hacks
- The White House has launched a cyber contest worth $20 million to encourage using artificial intelligence (AI) to identify and fix security flaws in US government infrastructure.
- The contest aims to combat hackers’ growing use of AI for malicious purposes.
- Tech giants like Google, Microsoft, and OpenAI will participate in the challenge.
Google Testing AI-Powered Tool for News Generation
- Google is reportedly testing a new AI-powered Genesis tool to generate news stories automatically.
- The tool has been presented to news organisations like The New York Times and The Washington Post.
- While some see the potential benefits, concerns remain about accuracy, misuse, and the impact on traditional journalism.
US Senator Raises Concerns Over Use of Google AI in Healthcare
- United States Senator Mark Warner has expressed concerns about Google’s deployment of Med-PaLM 2, a language model for healthcare.
- Warner emphasised the need for transparency, patient privacy protections, and ethical guidelines when using AI in healthcare.
- He criticised Google’s collaboration with Mayo Clinic and CareCloud and posed 12 questions seeking information on data sources, patient consent, and privacy protections.
- Warner concluded by emphasising the importance of improving AI technology in healthcare and addressing racial disparities in health outcomes.
NVIDIA and Hugging Face to Connect Millions of AI Developers
- NVIDIA and Hugging Face have partnered to provide AI developers access to NVIDIA DGX Cloud AI supercomputing within the Hugging Face platform.
- This collaboration aims to accelerate the adoption of generative AI by enabling developers to train and customise large language models for industry-specific applications.
- Hugging Face will also introduce a new service called Training Cluster as a Service, powered by NVIDIA DGX Cloud.