China Bans ChatGPT as Tech Fears Grow
- China has banned ChatGPT and may extend the ban to other AI apps, citing concerns about deep synthesis technologies and generative AI services.
- The government requires all forms of DST to have a license to operate in China.
- The move raises questions about China’s stance on AI and its rivalry with the US.
GPT-3 AI Demonstrates College-Level Reasoning Abilities
- Researchers at UCLA have discovered that the GPT-3 AI model demonstrates reasoning abilities comparable to college students.
- GPT-3 outperformed human participants in solving shape prediction problems and SAT analogies but struggled with analogies based on short stories.
- The findings have implications for AI and education, and further research is needed to understand GPT-3’s internal workings.
Alibaba Releases Open-Sourced AI Model Similar to Meta’s Llama 2
- Alibaba’s cloud computing unit has released two open-sourced AI models, Qwen-7B and Qwen-7B-Chat, with 7 billion parameters each.
- This move is a response to Meta’s recent unveiling of a similar open-sourced model called Llama 2.
Google Revealed Plans to Reorganise its Assistant Unit to Prioritise AI
- Google is reorganising its Assistant unit to prioritise advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) and integrate large language model (LLM) technology into its voice-powered software.
- The reorganisation includes organisational changes and layoffs, focusing on delivering exceptional user experiences and remaining competitive in the market.
Adobe Staff Fear Huge Job Losses Due to its Firefly AI
- Adobe staff are concerned that the company’s new Firefly generative AI tools could lead to job losses for graphic designers and artists.
- There are also fears that AI technology could cannibalise Adobe’s own business.
- Similar concerns have been raised by staff at other AI development organisations.