CASE STUDY: ENTERPRISE SEARCH
Save Researchers Hundreds of Hours per Month
The Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM) is a UK-based music academy with three campuses in Guildford, London and Birmingham. It has been training artists, producers and business entrepreneurs for careers in the creative industries since 1995. Notable alumni of ACM include Ed Sheeran, Newton Faulkner, Mumford & Sons, Lawson and Ebony Day.
”“AMPLYFI provide a fantastic research solution for ACM; being able to search a variety of resources in one place makes research easier and saves valuable time."Chelsea Wright, ACM’s Subject Librarian (Digital)
ACM wanted to simplify content access, speed up research and reduce the administrative burden on its librarians.
As with many other Organisations, ACM researchers (students and staff) needed to regularly access academic journals and resources, such as the Directory of Open Access Journals, JSTOR, Oxford Music Online, PubMed, arXiv, and many more.
Many of these sources required users to have an account, forcing the ACM librarians to create, support and manage thousands of accounts. Alongside this users were forced to juggle log-in credentials and open dozens of browser tabs to just search concurrent content. This complex scenario created both a measurable administration cost and a measurable reduction in time spent researching.
AMPLYFI’s supported ACM to integrate our Research tools with the ACM’s Single Sign On and student portal.
- This allows researchers, both staff and students to log in and access all of ACM’s sources in one place, with one password, within their normal daily workflow.
- The AMPLFI federated search enables them to search across dozens of relevant sources with increased consistency, control, and notably fewer browser tabs open.
- The results page also includes advanced Machine Learning topic clustering, supporting the development of knowledge in new subject areas and empowering undergraduates to confidently discover new topics.
- Finally, researchers can also set automated alerts, by Monitoring the topics that impact their areas of expertise, allowing them to stay up to speed with less effort.
AMPLYFI is now the go-to research platform for the institution, providing access to a range of sources in one easy-to-use interface.
Notably, the platform impacts both librarians and researchers:
- For Librarians, it reduces the administrative burden of managing thousands of access credentials and providing tech support to lost users.
- For ACM Researchers it saves significant time, allowing them to focus on their research more precisely.